Skinnysimplerecipes top

May 27, 2012

Moroccan Potato Patties-Maakouda

These potato patties, called Maakooda back home in Morocco, are famous as street food. For this easy and skinny version, I used boiled potatoes, sauteed onion and garlic, cumin, turmeric and olive oil. 

Originally, Maakouda is dip fried. I tried to make it healthier and low fat. I hope you like it!


Serve these Moroccan patties (Maakouda) warm as a side dish or as a filler in sandwiches.



Ingredients:
1 lb potatoes, peeled
½ small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1-2 tbsp parsley or cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp each cumin and turmeric
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 egg, beaten
Directions:
Place potatoes in a large pan. Cover with salted water and boil until tender.
Drain potatoes and chill covered in the refrigerator at least one hour, preferably over night.
In a small skillet, heat the olive oil. Add onion and sauté over medium low heat until tender. Add garlic and stir until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
Take potatoes from the refrigerator and grate them into a large bowl. Add spices, parsley, onion and garlic. Add beaten egg and gently combine all ingredients together. Shape this mixture into 3 inches patties.
Place the patties in a single layer on wax paper and let them chill in the freezer for 10 -15 minutes. It helps the patties stick better together while cooking.
In a large skillet or griddle, spray some olive oil. Add the potato patties and cook over medium heat until golden brown. Spray some more olive oil and cook the other side of patties.

8 comments:

  1. Just popped in to let you know that I've awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award: http://binomialbaker.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you've selected my blog for the "One Lovely Blog Award". This award encourages me to work more on my blog.Thank you.

      Delete
  2. wow these sound delicious, I love the lightened up version and such beautiful and colorful pictures =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fantastic are these? I can not wait to try them!! You have so many fabulous recipes. I'm now hungry! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my recipes. You have a nice blog as well...so many pictures.Love it!!

      Delete
  4. Love that you added patties in the pita bread. I love potatoes and these patties look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami. Your site's photos are amazing, I can't wait to try your Japaneese recipes

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...